Wednesday 2 April 2008

I am,therefore I think


I live.I see people cry and die.I am happy and I live.Its good to think that I am different,once in a while,but what does being different mean anyway.Its sad to know that the Universe is not aware of my existence.No,I did not deduce that by the number of people I expect to turn up at my cremation if I die tomorrow.I mean,in a more fundamental sense.
.It is sad to know that God is no more than a metaphorical shorthand for unexplained reality.Its a rude shock to realize that the process of my conception was so random and sudden,like the lottery ticket which becomes precious only after the draw.Its devastating to realize that all my physical features and character traits can possibly be encoded and stored like dumb computer programs.Craig Venter says ,"that any two humans differ from each other by about 1-2%, not the 0.1% that we thought was the case when we sequenced the first draft of the human genome earlier in the decade. This data is much more comforting as it is clear to me that we are all much more individualistic than previously thought".Thank you,Craig ,so I AM DIFFERENT,in some small way,atleast.Lately ,its a torture for me to think that my thoughts,one of the few things I can so proudly call my own are the manifestation of the interplay between different neural circuits.So,what makes us so proud,we were created by chance,we are in some intangible,but sure means,controlled.As we grow up,we become,more and more,a reflection of our surroundings.
Man is a part of nature,an element in his own surroundings.He is a self-proclaimed genius.Unaware of this,he fails to give other species an equal status.The first man learnt the art of making fire from nature,he liked the pace at which round objects moved and the wheel was born.We have learnt from nature.Knowledge has been shared between individuals and passed to future generations.So,even as I am performing the action of typing away my thoughts,I am enjoying the fruits of millions of years of evolution.Bio-inspired design is perhaps man's most fitting tribute to nature.
I had been profoundly moved by some lines from Saren Kierkegaard's Repetition, where his protagonist Young Man ponders, "How did I get into the world? Why was I not asked about it and why was I not informed of the rules and regulations but just thrust into the ranks as if I had been bought by a peddling shanghaier of human beings? How did I get involved in this big enterprise called actuality? Why should I be involved? Isn't it a matter of choice? And if I am compelled to be involved, where is the manager—I have something to say about this. Is there no manager? To whom shall I make my complaint?"
It is indeed true that any journey of self-discovery is humiliating .
Nevertheless,it still feels liberating to know that you are closer to truth.

No comments: