Monday 23 November 2009

The tale of a tiny, black box

When it is restlessly rapping
at the fragile walls,
I raise the lid cautiously
when no one is watching
to give my soul a peep
dancing feverishly inside
and we grin at each other
before I snap it shut
and bury it back into my
back pocket which then
bulges out,and needs to
be hastily smoothed
or I shall find myself drawn
into a scratching fit among
civilized gatherings and
invite suspicion over carrying
my soul in so reckless a
manner.
Even at night,I slide the
box under my pillow before
I close my eyes and only then
does my soul assume its
infamous formlessness
to seep out of its seclusion
and pour into my brain,
enacting the deepest of
my desires and fears-
That is the sole
mischief I allow my soul
otherwise locked up in
a tiny,black box for
all day long.

No comments: